I've been wary about sharing this recipe for a while, I planned to keep it as a family's secret recipe for generations ahead, but this seems like the perfect time to share it with all of you and let you try it for yourselves.
This is a relatively easy recipe but provides amazing results every time. The only part I usually struggle with is the piping, so I was pretty impressed with myself that it turned out so well after avoiding the dreaded piping bag for quite a while.
I've come across a lot of carrot cake recipes in my time, but this is the best for those with nut allergies and cake lovers who enjoy a little more moistness, DO NOT squeeze your carrots. I accidentally left them unsqueezed a few years ago and loved how moist and caramelised the carrots went so that step has been lovingly discarded.
- 130g Plain Flour
- 1/2tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2tsp All Spice
- Pinch Of Salt
- 215g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 175ml Vegetable Oil
- 165g Grated Carrot
- Preheat the over to 160C (fan oven) and arrange cake cases
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, all spice and salt into a bowl and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until thick, creamy and pale. Slowly add the oil in a thin stream while whisking continuously
- Fold in the dry ingredients. Once combined, stir in the carrots
- Divide the batter evenly among the cake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Check the largest cake with a skewer, if clean, place on a wire rack to cool, if not, put the cakes back in the oven for a further few minutes
This cream cheese frosting is a perfect accompaniment to these cakes, but if you prefer, you can eat the cakes plain or with your choice of frosting.
- 170g Cream Cheese
- 1tbsp Soft Butter
- 125g Icing Sugar
- 1/2tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2tsp Cinnamon
- Whisk the ingredients together until well combined. Add icing sugar a little at a time until sweet enough for personal preferences.
Don't forget to get involved with #BWBO with Silver Mushroom and use #TeamOffbeat to share your support!