The Important Stuff

Thursday 20 November 2014

The Best Rainy Day Films

Now that the nights are getting darker and drizzle is the likely forecast, I like to spend a lot of time snuggled up watching films. Homemade bakes and cocoa with my giant duvet and a good film is my perfect way to spend a dreary evening. There are a so many films that can warm up the coldest days and nights; these are my favourites.

1. (500) Days Of Summer

Anyone who says they have seen this film and didn't like it is lying. It's the perfect rom-com, it'll make you laugh hysterically while mopping up your tears. If you've never seen it, it's about the 500 days after the main character meets the new girl at work and how their relationship evolves over time. This film has made me want to go on dates to IKEA and record shops and other crazy places most first dates shouldn't be. The soundtrack. Oh wow, that soundtrack. It has a heavy indie focus and TWO songs by The Smiths (who are one of my all time favourite bands). It gives you a new perspective on love and relationships, even with friends. This film changed everything for me.



2. Donnie Darko

This one is perfect for anyone who enjoys the darker side of life and is best watched on a cold night when the moon comes out, it matches the mood of the film perfectly. Just a quick warning, this isn't one to watch with kids or anyone who gets freaked out by masks etc. It's also a real thinker, if you want to just switch off and take a film in, this probably isn't for you. Other than that, this film is perfect. Without ruining too much, this is about a guy who experiences an accident and sees a giant bunny and goes a bit insane really. Then there's a twist. This is literally all I can say without ruining the plot. Also, another killer soundtrack (Mad World by Gary Jules).


3. Forrest Gump

Another film that warms my heart and definitely a classic. Following the life of quite a simple man, this film shows how people see things in different ways, kind of like (500) Days Of Summer. He tells his story to people waiting for a bus and the they are enough to make anyone cry. He goes through college, falls in love, fights in the Vietnam war, loses people he loves and plays in an international ping pong tournament. The characters are lovable and even after the first watch, they will stay with you forever and you will learn life lessons from each and every one of them. This film makes you look at yourself and how you treat those around you and even has the possibility to strengthen your relationships because life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.


4. About A Boy

When I studied the book this film is based on in high school, I hated it. Probably because we had to do all of that analysing that nobody does in real life, but a few years on I am realising how awesome this film is. It allows you to see events that could happen to anyone through the eyes of a mature young boy and an immature grown man. Throughout the film, the young boy makes the man grow up and the man makes the young boy a child again, giving him time off from looking after his depressed mother. For all you Americans, it may be hard to get your hands on, it's difficult enough over here in the UK, where it was made and based. But if you can find it on Netflix or another streaming service, give it a go. It also features a very young, incredibly cute Nicholas Hoult (who was in Skins and has been in a few big films recently).


5.  Princess And The Frog

This list would not be complete without a musical or a Disney film, and this one covers both. Don't get me wrong, this is not my favourite Disney film (there's a long list, this will probably come soon) but this music and themes are enough to warm even the coldest of winter nights. I have to admit, Dr. Facilier is the scariest Disney villain there is, but that just makes me love the film more. I see a bit of myself in Tiana, it took a lot of hard work and effort to get to where I am but I'm here now and I love it. Also, everyone has a friend who reminds them of Charlotte from the film, if you can't think of any, then you are her. And you are awesome. And we should be friends.


I'm a major film junkie and I love watching new things, let me know if there are any other films that belong on this list. I feel like I'm going to need a whole lot more to get me through this dreary season.


No comments:

Post a Comment